Hi. My name is Jenny and I enjoy food that tastes good in a hurry.
I was blessed with a Cuisnart Panini maker for Mother’s Day and I’ve been using it like crazy for the past few weeks. Having such a fancy new tool in my arsenal of kitchen stuff make’s me feel almost illegally happy.
…but that doesn’t take much!
I can’t say I invented this pizza sandwich, but I’m proud to brag that it came to me in a moment of “Oh Crap, what is my 2 year old going to eat for dinner.” Running out of nuggets was a blessing in disguise…now these sandwiches are requested more than anything else (“Pizza Sandwich, Mom! Pweeeeeees!!”).
Disclaimer: This is not fancy. This is not special. This is only super yummy and easy. I make them for myself frequently.
This sandwich takes only about 8 minutes to make
- While your panini grill is firing up, get out 2 pieces of bread, mozzarella (shredded or otherwise) and some pizza or marinara sauce.
- Sauce both faces of the bread liberally.
- Add a pile of cheese (and any toppings)
- Assemble sandwich and place in panini maker.
- Cook for 4-6 minutes (until cheese is melted and starting to ooze out).
- Eat….and realize how freaking awesome 3 little ingredients can be! For the visual learners, here’s a photo tutorial. Scroll to the bottom for a few tips!
Tips on making the perfect pizza sandwich:
1) DO NOT butter the outsides of the bread (one of the very few things in life that butter does not improve). It took me many paninis to realize the sogginess was a result of buttering the bread. Lightly dust the panini plates with some cooking spray, if desired.
2) Use bakery fresh bread. Makes all the difference.
3) A sprinkle of Italian seasonings on the cheese tastes great.
4) If making for kids, this is a great one to sneak a few spinach leaves into. They’ll never know!
5)Let your panini get screaming hot first. Otherwise the bread won’t have that crunch.
What are the tried-and-trusted sandwiches in your home??